One of the most commonly asked questions we get – do you need PCT for SARMs and what are the best SARMs PCT products to use?
First and foremost, SARMs PCT protocol is a highly debated and subjective matter depending on the individual so we can’t advise you on what you should/shouldn’t do but we can give you some guidance. In general, a person cannot be sure which option is best for them unless they get bloodwork done pre and post cycle. Every individual is different and the many factors that will affect your requirements include:
- Your starting point/baseline
- Any previous supplement/cycle history
- Your predisposition/genetics
- Your age
- Which compound(s) you are using
- The dosage(s)
- The length of your cycle
- How your body reacts to the compound(s)
The Two Different SARMs PCT Protocols
In general, there are two options to look at when considering your SARMs PCT protocol. These guidelines are NOT instructions – it is down to you as the individual to make a judgement call (or get bloodwork done) in order to choose the best and most effective course of action:
- A mild over-the-counter PCT stack that includes an aromatase inhibitor (Arimistane) such as Regen-T or Arim-RX, combined with a high-quality natural testosterone booster such as Black Ox. This is almost always the best option after an Ostarine cycle. For some people, this is also a suitable option for other mid-range SARMs such as LGD-4033, LGD-3303, S-4), and/or shorter cycles up to 8 weeks.
- A full PCT which includes a SERM, such as Nolvadex and/or Clomid. Ensure to do thorough research on PCT protocols before you consider researching SARMs. This option is often recommended for potent compounds (such as RAD-140, YK-11, S-23), advanced stacks and longer cycles of 12 weeks.
There is also added benefit of adding Cardarine and a low dose of Ostarine to your chosen SARMs PCT protocol, which we go into detail further below.
What are SERMs?
SERMs (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators) – not to be confused with SARMs – help to control the effects of estrogen and ultimately helps you to avoid gyno (gynecomastia), maintain the muscle mass you’ve gained during your cycle and to boost your testosterone levels. The pharmaceutical grade SERMs are most effective but in some cases, you can use an over-the-counter supplement if your cycle consists of a very mild compound that isn’t too suppressive. The more potent the compound (or the stronger your cycle) the better your SERM needs to be.
The two most common and effective SERMs are:
- Clomid (Clomiphene Citrate) is a pharmaceutical drug that has the ability to inhibit estrogen formation. Clomid is often used for heavy cycles or those stacking several compounds. This is because Clomid is the strongest PCT compound but which also carries the greatest side effects. Most users prefer to stick to Nolvadex for their SARMs PCT unless they have no other choice.
- Nolvadex (Tamoxifen Citrate) is a pharmaceutical drug used after most steroid cycles to help the user recover. It is a mild yet effective compound which is it’s often preferred over Clomid.
Some users will use a low dosage of Clomid and Nolvadex in their PCT protocol rather than pick one, or the other. This prevents the potential emotional side effects users can experience by using a high dosage of a single SERM. To further enhance recovery, it is recommended to include a good natural testosterone booster, a liver/organ detox supplement, an aromatase inhibitor, Ostarine and Cardarine.
A quick search on SERMs and you will find many articles relating to the use of both Clomid and Nolvadex, these can be combined together or used solo.
Preparation is key. One thing we can recommend is always having both options on hand in case you find that you need to run a full PCT, even if you haven’t anticipated this possibility.
Signs of Testosterone Suppression
You can also make a judgement on the signs of testosterone suppression if you experience any of these:
- Low energy
- Low libido
- Feelings of sadness
- Loss of strength and motivation
- Chronically poor performance in the gym
Assess how you feel after finishing the cycle and this should give you an idea of the degree of testosterone suppression. This also applies after you complete your SARMs PCT to assess the indicators of a successful post cycle therapy. Always ensure to take enough time off between cycles to ensure adequate recovery; listen to your body and if in doubt, take more time off.
Should You Use an Aromatase Inhibitor During your SARMs Cycle?
Although some supplements and SARMs do not convert to estrogen, you will still get the odd one or two guys who experience estrogen-related side effects during their cycle. In such cases, a mild over-the-counter SARMs PCT supplement with an aromatase inhibitor is ideal. Mild suppression of testosterone will throw your estrogen levels out of balance and therefore can cause side effects in those who are more prone.
Ostarine Prevents Catabolism During PCT
At this transition point, your body will quickly begin to produce testosterone. It’s here you must be careful not to allow excess cortisol from chewing up your hard-earned muscle. At the same time, your body will have little to no nitrogen which will cause your muscles to crave nutrients that you don’t have.
To counter these effects, prevent catabolism and lessen the amount of muscle loss, a sensible solution is to introduce a non-suppressive anabolic; and this is the greatest opportunity for this SARM to really shine. A low dose at 10mg of Ostarine (MK-2866) will help preserve your muscle gain and increase your nitrogen and IGF levels. This will also help you continue smashing your workouts and even improve muscle pumps.
Cardarine Prevents Fat Gain During PCT
After you’ve dealt with your cortisol levels, you’ll find that the excess testosterone binds with it, rendering it inactive. To prevent fat gain yet keeping your calories up requires a PPAR modulator such as Cardarine (GW-50156). This will regulate the rate at which you burn fat. It does this in a number of ways but essentially it promotes glycogen retention in muscle tissue. This allows the body to alter its metabolism and increase the amount of fat burned instead of using carbs or protein as fuel.
This is a true win/win and means your body retains muscles and yet fat retention is reduced. This, in turn, will give you more stamina and can have the added bonus of reducing cravings.
Find the latest SARMs PCT supplements here.